Re: Can we orphan dlocate?

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 11:45:58PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> The maintainer appears to have lost interest in the package (last upload 1999).
> It's also his only package; he is probably MIA.  (I seem to remember him being
> very angry about Debian's decision to apply the Social Contract and DFSG to all
> of Debian, and particularly at me for advocating it, so he may have left
> Debian deliberately.)

No, he has not.

> Given the various NMUs I suspect that this one would be picked up quite quickly,
> but I'm sure nobody wants to step on the maintainer's toes....

> Given the presence of bugs as old as seven years, it clearly needs a new
> maintainer.

Just like all the other 10-year-old packages that have 7-year-old bugs?  If
the package doesn't have any RC problems, why should it be orphaned just
because there are some older bugs?  If anything, this looks to me like a
veiled attempt to remove the package from the archive, disguised as an
orphaning, since I don't imagine there are a great number of people
clamouring to adopt it afterwards.