libdbi in Debian being outdated and seems orphaned: can I take over the package?

Hello,

Bellow is the mail I received from the upstream of libdbi. The current
maintainer, David Parker, is Cc: to this message, so he can reply if he
is still interested in doing the maintenance.

If David is not willing to continue maintaining it, I can try to take
over the package.

The last entry in the Debian changelog is "Tue, 20 Jan 2004", which is
quite old. And there's this "quite annoying" bug with no reply from the
current maintainer:

which made the lib removed from Etch.

I have never maintained shared libs before, but I have some packaged
that I maintain already, it seems to me that I can do it, and I'm
willing to learn and spend the time for it (as a side note, I'm still
searching for sponsors for some of my packages to fix the bugs). I also
want to maintain libminiupnp (ITP for miniupnpc is already done, but
it's going to be renamed as such), so I will learn anyway.

Best regards,

Thomas Goirand