Re: Orphaned games

Ana Guerrero wrote:
Hi,

There are currently 16 orphaned games, see list below. Maybe somebody would be interested in adopt any of them inside the games team. In the case of the ITAed packages, maybe invite the maintainer to join the team.
And there are three packages that seems good candidates for removal.

Comments?

Ana

Just an opinion on the basis of having a 12 year old son. I think it is fair to consider the playability and up-to-dateness of some of these ideas.

Package: 3dchess
 3 dimensional Chess game for X11R6.  There are three boards, stacked
 vertically; 96 pieces of which most are the traditional chess pieces with
 just a couple of additions; 26 possible directions in which to move.  The
 AI isn't wonderful, but provides a challenging enough game to all but the
 most highly skilled players.

#363498 ITAed since May 2007

It's not really very 3D is it? A package with this name should be providing a 'proper' 3D chess experience.

I'm not going to comment on each package in turn, suffice it to say we need to know whether anyone actually ever plays these games and they really ought to be tested for 'lameness'. Debian has an embarrassment of riches in the Arcade games section, we owe it to the decent games to drop the lamer arcade games.

Package: gnome-breakout
 A clone of the classic game "Breakout". Control a paddle at the
 bottom of the playfield and bounce a ball against bricks at the
 top to destroy them.

#428485 Orphaned since Jun 2007, It is a gnome1 package, candidate for removal?

Why would anyone want to play anything other than lbreakout?

Package: lxdoom
 Doom is a 3d shoot'em'up game, written by id Software, first released in
 1993.
 .
 LxDoom is a version of Doom, designed to run on Unix either under XFree86 or
 using SVGALib.
 .
 LxDoom is based on Boom, a freely available port of Doom for DOS, written by
 TeamTNT (http://www.teamtnt.com/).
 .
 This package includes only the network game server and the required game
 wad file (boomlump.wad). To actually play lxdoom, you require lxdoom-x11
 or lxdoom-svga, depending on whether you're going to play lxdoom on the
 console or X. Packages which may also enhance your gameplay are
 lxdoom-sndserv and lxmusserv, which are the sound server and music server
 packages, respectively.

#434100 Orphaned since Jul 2007.

Isn't this already for the chop in favour of prboom?

I think it might be worth allowing a stay of execution on games that have only been orphaned or ita'd since this spring as these are the kind of projects that get worked on when the weather gets cooler in the autumn. ;) Surely popcon results are relevant, if a game is being played regularly, it probably ain't broke.

cheers,

tim