Re: Ideas for additional large scale tests

On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 10:41 +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
<snip>
> Well, what I'm looking for is:
>
>   [A] People with good ideas of tests that would improve Debian's
>   quality, or Free Software's quality in general
>
>   [B] People willing to help with providing code for the tests, and
>   providing manpower to analyze the results, file the bugs, etc. Just
>   running the tests and trashing the results is useless.
>
> People matching both criteria are of course much more interesting for
> me, since it means less work for me :-)
<snip>

There's a lot of C and C++ code that plays stupid casting tricks and
requires -fno-strict-aliasing to keep it working.  Something I meant to
do but never got round to was to investigate packages that elicit
warnings about casts or use -Wno-strict-aliasing to suppress them.  This
requires human checking to eliminate the false warnings.

More generally, where packages don't use -Wall for compiling C and C++
code, add this option and see what happens.  If it produces warnings
about broken code, file bugs.  If it produces false warnings, disable
them selectively.  Then file a (minor) bug to request using the
resulting warning options.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Power corrupts.  Absolute power is kind of neat.