Re: [RFC/RFH] Post-etch archive cleanup: let's work on something organized!

On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 11:24 +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The release of etch is approaching, and we now have a good idea of the
> list of packages that won't make it into etch. It would be interesting
> to review all those packages, because something might be wrong about
> them:
> - they might be target for removals from debian
> - their maintainers might be MIA
> - etc...
>
> Are there people interested in working on that ?

Yes, I'm interested.  Especially in activities leading to getting more
packages updated to the newest upstream stable releases before the next
freeze.

> I propose the following workflow:
>   1. A list of packages matching:
>    "was in sid on etch freeze date, is still in sid, but isn't in etch"
>    is generated and commited to the collab-qa svn repository

That excludes young packages (good!).

Maybe also exclude packages recently marked "ITA".  For example, the
package libtangram-perl was marked "ITA" on 26 Feb 2007.  I wrote
"recently", because it may be useful to include packages marked "ITA" a
long time ago.

>   2. Interested participants review some packages, take the necessary
>   actions, and add comments to the lists. We use tags to mark similar
>   situations (e.g SITUATION_OK, MAINTAINER_NEEDS_PING, etc)

That sounds like a good plan.

> I already generated the lists and commited them to the collab-qa
> repository. Here are the number of packages to review:
> $ wc -l *_todo
>   20 contrib_todo
>  432 main_todo
>   15 non-free_todo
>  467 total
>
> The lists can be viewed at:
> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/collab-qa/archive-cleanup/post-etch/?rev=0&sc=0
> (I've also commited the dd-list outputs)
>
> If you want to participate, request addition to the collab-qa alioth
> project:
> http://alioth.debian.org/projects/collab-qa/

Requested.

> Any comments/suggestions on the proposed workflow ?

Excellent initiative.  Please take/keep lead and report progress
periodically to motivate more people to participate.