dvipng

Hello,

This is regarding the current state of dvipng in Debian.

As evidence of my impatience :) to have a newer version of dvipng
enter the Debian archive you have my numerous mails to debian-qa.
Here is one more!

Timeline:
The package has seen no uploads since 10 October 2005.
The package was orphaned on 5 October 2006 and adopted the
same day by Franz Pletz.
On 9 October 2006 I e-mailed the new maintainer and offered
co-maintainer-ship.

Bug status:
There are small patches for #395681, #346084, #327130.
An NMU fixed #332702.
A package with the current upstream release would fix #338807,
 #330540, #346181.

In other words, all bugs except #366946 (which the upstream author is
likely to fix soon) would be fixed by an upload of a Debian package
of the newer version.

Upstream:
The upstream author Jan-Aake Larsson actively participates in the
Debian BTS. He has responded to bugs with fixes.

I feel that Debian should respond to this by at least packaging the
current version of dvipng.

As assistance for this I have prepared a New Maintainer Upload of
dvipng with me as one of the Uploaders. This can be found at
	http://www.imsc.res.in/~kapil/debian/dvipng/dvipng_1.8-1.dsc
	or
	http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/d/dvipng/dvipng_1.8-1.dsc

It would be nice if the package could be uploaded (if only to the delayed
queue) by someone...

Thanks and regards,

Kapil.