Re: XS-Vcs-field

On dom, 2006-11-12 at 14:02 -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         tla is wrong. The name of the protocol is arch; and tla and
>  baz are competing implementations of the standard.

Agreed, will fix this.

<snipped useful analysis>

>         I suggest that we specify tow headers: and SCM specific
>  header, XS-Vcs-<NAME> where name is one keyword from a specified list
>  (bzr, cvs, svn, darcs, git, hf, or arch), and XS-VCS-Browse, which is
>  a plain old HTTP URL.

I like this proposal and I will implement it (addressing other minor
issues pointed out by #393462).

>                 Coming back to what it would take to fully specify sources in
>  an arch archive so that users can download the sources, I think that
>  the best thing to use would be to provide a URL for a grab file. The
>  grab file has a syntax:

I don't have objections (mainly because I don't know what a grab file
is). More generally though I would like to know opinions about whether
it would be the case to describe in the developers reference what is the
appropriate (non-browse) url for a given VCS. For example, would it be
appropriate to document there that for arch a grab file should be used?

Alternatively the description in the devref should remain vague
(something like "an url pointing to a resource allowing automatic
download of a debian source package") and a best practice section
(either in the devref or on the wiki) should be set up documenting how
to deal with the various VCS.

Thanks for your feedback,
Cheers.