Re: Cleaning/restoring autoconf generated files

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006, Kapil Hari Paranjape wrote:
> I was wondering whether Debian policy regarding the 'clean' target
> is to be interpreted as applying to the autotools generated files as
> well. (As currently stated it would appear to be so).

Many of us read the policy for "clean" to "generate a tree clean for a
Debian build" and not "bring the tree up to upstream pristine state".

Especially because upstream pristine state is often quite useless :-)

> 	1. Use the separate tar.gz approach a la DBS.
>
> 	2. Save all autotools generated files before the build
> 	   and restore them after.
>
> (1) looks simpler at this point.

I agree that (1) is the way to go, if you are going to bother.

  Henrique Holschuh