Re: instend to hijack sqlalchemy package

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 04:46:18PM +0200, Piotr Ozarowski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using python-sqlalchemy a lot and one of my packages (griffith) will
> depend on it soon. Sqlalchemy is under heavily development (there are 6
> new upstream releases since last upload on 2006-04-02).
>
> I tried to contact Tommi Virtanen (sqlalchemy's maintainer) since first
> may 2006 with no result, I have also reported a bug against sqlalchemy
> with proposition to take over (#369371). As far as I can tell (I'm
> not a DD), Tommi is on a vacations. His packages has 2 RC bugs and in one
> of them you can find his last words (#356394)
>
> What I intend to do:
> * upload (NMU) 0.1.4-1.1 (new python policy update)
> * wait for Tommi's approval and upload (another NMU) 0.2.2-0.1
> * if I will get permission, adopt sqlalchemy and maintain it as a part of
>   Debian Python Modules Team (I'm DPMT member)

If you only adopt if you have permission (which you seem to imply here),
this is not a hijack, and hence not controversial at all. It's only a
hijack if you change maintainer without any permission from the previous
maintainer -- for now, I'd suggest to indeed NMU and keep your offer to
adopt open and wait and see.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar