Re: Idea for maintaining packages up for adoption

Le jeudi 21 juillet 2005 à 08:41 +0200, Lucas Nussbaum a écrit :
> > > I'm fine with that, but I'm against making them official packages.
> >
> > That's not your call. The DD who checks the package decides if he wants
> > to upload it or not.
>
> What's the difference between your proposal and :
>
> - Some DDs with free time decide to co-maintain packages which :
>   - don't require too much work
>   - are orphaned or not well maintained
>   - have (power-)users willing to help with the maintainership
> - To do so, they use a mailing list, a wiki, etc, and a SVN repository
> - Write access to this SVN repository is given to the (power-)users
>   willing to help
> - DDs will try to rely mostly on the (non-DD) users for package
>   maintenance tasks. Ideally, they would only be in charge of the
>   package uploads.
>
> Presented like that, it might look less world-changing.

That's the idea ... but I'd like to extend this system automatically to
all orphaned packages.

> The issue that hasn't been raised yet (I think) is granularity :

Right. Here are my opinions:

> - How many alioth projects ? One for all packages ? One per package ?

One for all packages. It's called "qa". We (already) have an (empty)
subversion repository there.

> - How many mailing lists ? One global for all packages ? One per
>   package + one global ?

No new mailing lists. We already have central mailing lists with
debian-qa@lists.debian.org and Debian QA Group <packages@qa.debian.org>
for the "Maintainer" field.

If people need to receive bug reports, they must subscribe to the PTS.

> - How many SVN repositories ? One for all packages ? One per package ?

One for all packages. But there would be several categories in the
repository :
- orphaned : orphaned packages (maintained by debian-qa)
- externally-maintained : orphaned packages maintained by external
contributors (and checked/uploaded by debian-qa)
- debian-maintained : orphaned packages which have been adopted by a
Debian maintainer (when the DD decided to continue to use SVN to
maintain the package)

We could move packages from one tree to the other when the state of the
package changes...

We may need however some subversion hook scripts to limit access of
external contributors just to the part they're involved with (although
i'm not sure it's required since you can always track the changes...).

Raphaël Hertzog -+- http://www.ouaza.com
Earn money with free software: http://www.geniustrader.org