Re: Idea for maintaining packages up for adoption

Le mercredi 20 juillet 2005 à 09:19 -0400, Michael Stone a écrit :
> >efforts. And, yes, a patch in a BTS is only accessible to developpers,
> >not to users. Users does not know how to apply a patch and compile a
> >program, this is why they use a distribution.
>
> <bullshit alert>So, ordinary users can't pull a patch out of the BTS and
> apply it, but they can use subversion? I'd *love* to see the users in
> your little world.

Applying patches sitting in the BTS can't be done automatically (at
least not in an easy manner).

But building packages from a suvbersion repository can be done
automatically. So yes, we could provide automatically unofficial
packages to the users. And furthermore it would be trivially simple for
a DD to upload a new package...

A patch sitting in the BTS for years may not apply anymore and it may
involve work from the DD to apply it. Building out of subversion doesn't
involve any work...

So yes, there's real value to this proposition. Please stop your
campaigning against this proposal until you have identified a real
negative side-effect.

It's possible that we over-estimate the "pros" but doing this can't harm
us, so there's no reason for you to stop us.

Raphaël Hertzog -+- http://www.ouaza.com
Earn money with free software: http://www.geniustrader.org