Re: Idea for maintaining packages up for adoption

Le mercredi 20 juillet 2005 à 19:52 +0200, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt a
écrit :
> Raphael Hertzog <raphael@ouaza.com> writes:
> > But building packages from a suvbersion repository can be done
> > automatically. So yes, we could provide automatically unofficial
> > packages to the users. And furthermore it would be trivially simple for
> > a DD to upload a new package...
>
> Right, because it's a *good* idea to pull some packages from an
> automatic build host and upload them to the archive.

In never said that. The "trivially simple" means that the DD can use
svn-buildpackage to build the package... and *not* that he should upload
pre-compiled packages.

> The effort to upload a package is still the same: Integrating patches
> into a package is something every DD should be able to do (either using
> the .diff.gz directly or by leaving the patch management to dbs, cdbs'
> simple-patchsys, dpatch, quilt, ...) in a few minutes - while checking a
> package before uploading takes a lot more time, especially if you don't
> know the package.

Checking a package that is already in the Debian archive is quickly done
by doing a diff between the current code in svn and the code available
in unstable.

If the history of the package is in subversion, this diff creation is
easy (because the last upload would have been tagged properly). In any
case it can be automated to help the process.

In case of a new upstream version it may need some more work to check.

Raphaël Hertzog -+- http://www.ouaza.com
Earn money with free software: http://www.geniustrader.org