Re: Packages which build-depend on libtool1.4

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 10:27:53PM +0100, David Schmitt wrote:
> On Friday 18 March 2005 19:37, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> > One of my goals for etch is getting rid of all old libtool
> > versions.
> >
> > I'm still wondering on how exactly I'm going to do this.  But I
> > am thinking about getting all those packages to build depend on
> > libtool, autoconf and automake.
>
> $ grep $package/ltmain.sh VERSION
>
> But perhaps it'd be better to code some lintian/linda checks for that?

I do know on how to identify which version of libtool was used in
the Package.  That has nothing to do with how to avoid having
packages build using a broken version of libtool.

There are several ways of getting all of them to the latest
debian version.

One way to do it would be to update all the files and just
put them in the diff.  This basicly is a one time only solution.
This also makes it likely that on the next upstream version we'll
get the same old versions again.  This is something we really
would like to avoid.

An other way to do it is to do the update at build time.  This
requires build depending on auto tools.  This has a few
advantages including that the diff is smaller and more readable,
should give porters of a new port less problems since they can
make sure they have a fixed version.  An other advantage is that
we really avoid timestamp skew issues you might have with the
first, but dpkg-source is supposed to fix those soon now.

Also see the thread on debian-devel (automake/autoconf in
build-dependencies) for more information about the same subject.

Kurt