Re: Proposal for collaborative maintenance of packages

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 00:45:25 +1100, skaller  <skaller@users.sourceforge.net> said:

> On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 03:35 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
>> While insiders are not qualified to comment on how outsiders *feel*
>> about the process, they are certainly the people to judge whether
>> the *outcome* of the process is the correct one.

> Outcome for their own personal pleasure? No: they're not qualified
> to judge the outcome either: that's a judgement made in the market
> by end users. Based on that Debian is reasonably successful .. but
> way WAY behind Microsoft. Do we really want that??

        Yes. If popularity was a criteria, one should be developing
 windows shareware. It is not. Excellence is the criteria, which means
 that random code jockeys should not be able to dump softeare into my
 OS, and that everything that can run as root on my bo be vetted by
 people who have gone through a process where they committed to the
 principles that govern debian, have been vouched for by people
 already in the web of trust, and have been minimally checked for a
 modicum of competence.

        Code jockeys are a dime a dozen. Trusted collaborators who
 have demonstrated a commitment to the project are rare.

        manoj
--
Vulcans believe peace should not depend on force. Amanda, "Journey to
Babel", stardate 3842.3