Re: Proposal for collaborative maintenance of packages

On Mo, 2005-12-19 at 15:38 +0100, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> On Monday 19 December 2005 11:17, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > Actually, the Ubuntu people doing REVU didn't event think of using a VCS
> > because they are handling uploads of source packages in their system.
> > Adding a VCS layer has some advantages however : traceability of
> > contributions from an applicant is one for example.
>
> Well, REVU was a tool which we needed for a special purpose:
>
> To get rid of the wiki page we had. That we've accomplished.
>
> REVU2 will be a much better approach.

That's right. REVU was written for a very special purpose: to assist
exact the workflow MOTUs have. It was designed after we defined that
workflow. REVU2 will optimize that.

What Raphael is suggesting has a brighter scope: He talks about
'collaborative maintenance', so more than one developer works on the
same package. This is basically what we MOTUs do with all universe
packages. This means that the results of the project Raphael started is
very valuable to us MOTUs.

> What you are suggesting is already there. It's called "hct" and it's keybuks
> child. So, seeing this in an environment of Ubuntu: I think (or I hope) hct
> will be included in launchpad, and then we will include some parts of REVU3
> (I hope :)) into launchpad as well.
> You can read everything on http://wiki.launchpad.canonical.com, especially the
> part about Soyuz.
> For the REVU2 part, you can read the spec on
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/revu .
>
> So, IMHO for the MOTU area, there is no need to reinvent a wheel.

I disagree. Soyuz is a reimplementation of the archive software. HCT
addresses the problem of package publishing within Soyuz. In what scope
HCT will support 'collaborative maintenance' is AFAIK quite unclear.

I'm very sure that the 'collaborative maintenance' project will help us
to reduce divergence from debian in ubuntu. That's the reason why I will
definitively join that project, and I want to encourage fellow MOTUs to
support it as well.

Divergence is a topic that IMO we didn't discuss too much lately, which
I will try to start shortly. The utnubu project addresses divergence
from ubuntu to debian, I think we should also have a serious discussion
about this. But this is another topic.

--
Reinhard Tartler <siretart@tauware.de>