Re: Is xmovie still maintained?

El lunes, 12 de septiembre de 2005 19:50, Helge Kreutzmann escribió:
> Hello,
> I summariezed the problems in my last mail to "my" bug on xmovie
> a while ago, but in short I see the following:
>
> No upload since 2002, old packaging (c.f. policy version!), several
> simple patches in the BTS, limited use, upstream version much higher
> than in Debian, no answer to the bugs in the BTS (even for the simple
> ones, not even an acknowledgement), claims to support alpha but only
> provides i386 binaries (c.f. my bug report), only in contrib.
>
> I tried to build more recent version on my alpha, but failed. The
> build includes lots of software available independently from Debian,
> but it is quite entangled.
>
> Please have a look if this software is really maintained and required.
>
> Please CC: me as I am not subscribed, thanks.

	Hello, Helge. I was sure that I replied you, but given that I am in the final
stages of my career exams, it is probably that I gave up while writing the
mail.

	In short, I tried no less than three times, in all this time of "inactivity",
to rebuild and upgrade xmovie. In fact, if you look into the libquicktime
changelog, you will see that I sent several mails to Gerd Knorr in order to
include some problems that I found while building xmovie.

	libquicktime as upstream sees is impossible (with its current dependencies on
lame) to package. Gerd Knorr packaged it years ago, but gave up and instead
packaged an interesting project called libquicktime
(http://libquicktime.sf.net) that aimed to maintain full binary compatibility
with upstream libquicktime4linux, plus the possibility of using third-party
codecs like Sorenson ones (modern Quicktime codecs, in short). But every time
I tried to build, it failed with this or that error. Upstream of libquicktime
seemed halted, and I began to think into removing xmovie from Debian. But
several weeks ago (I do not remember if it was triggered by a mail from you
or I saw in the apt-listchanges report) I saw that libquicktime bumped a lot
its version number. Those guys seem to be doing things again.

	So I promised myself to try again after my *last* exam before getting my
grade on Physics.

	I am really sorry that you are so annoyed. Please accept my apologies.

	I will report again in a week. Adeodato Simó is bugging me on IRC about this
thing...I think that the last QA meeting awaked his QA skills. :-)

	Best regards to all, and specially to Helge,

		Ender.
--
Network engineer
Debian Developer