Re: Source packages apparantly without any users (popcon)

Luk Claes <luk@debian.org> writes:

> postit (orphaned, 0 bugs)

I have no idea why anyone would use this instead of newsx or suck.  Maybe
because it's simpler, I suppose, but no one seems to be eagerly using it.
It can probably go.

It really only deals with half of the problem that most private news
servers have, the other half being pulling articles down from the upstream
server.  newsx and suck both handle both parts of the problem.

> ninpaths (1 bug)

ninpaths has been included in INN 2.x, so the package is really only still
useful for people who don't want to upgrade from INN 1.x or who are using
some other method to get it to work with a news server other than INN.  On
the other hand, it's a very simple and small package.

> (non-free) diablo (9 bugs, 1 RC bug, not in testing nor stable)

Diablo is a fairly widely used news server, so it's something of a shame
that the Debian package isn't attracting any users.  On the other hand,
it's non-free, which significantly reduces my willingness to care and
leaves me unwilling to adopt it myself.