Re: Idea for maintaining packages up for adoption

Hello,

As this is my first posting to this list, I'd better introduce myself. I'm a
non-DD lurker with an interest in media applications and learning the ropes
on qa issues. I hope to be able to put some effort into qa for the A/DeMuDi
CDD.

Last Friday 15 July 2005 16:00, Benjamin BAYART was like:
> The orphaned packages are quite the opposite: they are of no interest
> for the Debian developpers, so there is no maintainer any more, but they
> might be of interest for users, or for developpers in other technologies
> than the ones used for Debian. Of course, some of those are deprecated,
> or of bad quality, but this is not always true.

I'd like to confirm this. A recent case in point was noteedit - a simple MIDI
editor, which lost its maintainer last year, but still retained an active
user-base. There are also multimedia applications that remain in active
development by Linux Audio Developers, who provide up to date debianised
packages, but have not entered into NM or are still prospects. I wonder
whether the CDD framework could be used to provide foster homes for these
packages.

Just a thought.

Back into the shadows for me. ;)

cheers,