Re: Idea for maintaining packages up for adoption

On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 02:18:51PM +0200, Benjamin Bayart wrote:
> Le Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 04:32:30PM +0200, Frank Lichtenheld:
> But I disagree on your conclusion: if people just submit patches to the
> bug tracking system, the patches will not find a way to the users, since
> there is no maintainer to do it.

But this doesn't depend on the availability of a VCS but on the
availability of people to upload the package. Perhaps during
creating the former you find the latter ones. But that's about
marketing, not about technical solutions, IMO.

To be clear, I'm not against organising the maintainance of orphaned
packages better, but I have two issues here:

1) Often it might be better for the overall quality of Debian to swiftly
remove an orphaned package instead of spending time trying to fix it.

2) I still fear that people will try to maintain a package this way
with the option in case of a problem to say "no, I'm not the maintainer,
see, it's orphaned"

Still, I would really regret to scare someone away from contributing
by my arguments about this. I just try to make sure you clearly have
thought this through before investing a lot of work into this that
might be better spend elsewhere...

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>