Re: Removing old orphaned packages?

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 11:00:09AM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:

> >> If someone has a chance to explain this one, I'm really curious what's up
> >> with it.  I never really understood what this package did or what it's
> >> role in the whole X font situation is, but I've seen a few recommendations
> >> and guides that say to install it.

> > gnucash currently has a dependency on it, but I don't know for sure whether
> > it's justified.  (It was added recently in response to bug #293798, but at
> > least two other dependencies suggested in that bug were definitely
> > spurious.)

> Sigh, more with gnucash. ;)

> I confess it has me stymied, and I'm happy to simply take whatever
> course others think best.

# dpkg --remove --force-depends x-ttcidfont-conf
dpkg: x-ttcidfont-conf: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you request:
 gnucash depends on x-ttcidfont-conf.
(Reading database ...197647 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing x-ttcidfont-conf ...
Purging font configuration of x-ttcidfont-conf...
Purging category cmap..
Purging category cid..
Purging category truetype..
# exit
$ gnucash

Works fine here.

Probably the x-ttcidfont-conf dep should just be dropped, then?  If
x-ttcidfont-conf is providing something that gnucash benefits from, there's
apparently some other package on my system that works just as well.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer