[RFC] Software Process Improvement in Free Software, Closing the Quality Cycle, Inventing Non-Developer-Demotivating QA/QM/SPI

I'm forwarding this second mail from Thomas which was posted to the
wrong list.  Let's continue the discussion on -qa.

----- Forwarded message from Thomas Schorpp <t.schorpp@gmx.de> -----

From: Thomas Schorpp <t.schorpp@gmx.de>
Subject: [Fwd: Re: [RFC] Software Process Improvement in Free Software, Closing
 the Quality Cycle, Inventing Non-Developer-Demotivating QA/QM/SPI]
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 19:18:04 +0100
To: leader@debian.org, debian-ctte@lists.debian.org

Respected Madames and Sirs,

I've seen Your efforts to maintain the quality of Your SW-distribution
on qa-debian.org:

" We know that, at the moment, there is no real quality assurance for
Debian, in a conventional meaning of that term. Although we have a
strict and well defined Policy which defines all the requirements for
packages, a "department" is missing which would assure that those rules
are followed in every package, and that packages are well integrated
into a system. "

As experienced developer since 1984, Studies of SW-QM/Processes at
University and Process Automation Industry, and former certified Quality
Mananagment Professional (German DGQ e.V.)  I suggest building a "real"
quality managers team with extended work focus to full QM and SPI ( e.g.
like stated below) soon with my application as member to You.

I also question You as "consortium" organisation to join the german
government "IT Offensive 2006", e.g., since theres lack of both: Free
Software Organisations participation and Software Quality Management.
QM-Research and Development is cost intensive, maybe we could get
assigned some funds from there, too. http://www.softwarefoerderung.de/

Personally, I could spend full time for such a project since I'm "out of
~ commercial industry" and handicapped since a motorcycle accident in
2001, so my commercial consulting abilities are very limited now to home
office.

The statement below awaits further analysis/research discussion.

Respectively Yours,
Thomas Schorpp

P.S.: Some literature for people interested to join:
- - ISO 9000-3 (little too old), 12207, TR 15504 (SPICE, esi.es), CMMx
standards (cmu.edu).
- - Publication of the SPR inc. CEO: "Assessments, Benchmarks and Best
Practices ( good for SPI practioneers ).
- - DGQ ITG 12-51/52 books (little outdated, but good to start)
- - Many publications on software qa (testing) around.