Re: developer.php: Locale broken

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 05:29:05PM +0100, Igor Genibel wrote:
> * Jeroen van Wolffelaar <jeroen@wolffelaar.nl> [2004-02-23 16:55:50 +0100]:
> [...]
>
> Maintainers file is to be up to date. It is rsynced every day from
> ftp-master (that does the extract)
> Sources.* files are generated from the ftp.nl.d.o mirror so it really
> depends on its freshness.

ftp.nl.d.o is fine. Actually, I tracked down the problem: it's related
to #203145.

Policy has not the 'Uploaders:' field documented, and some packages,
like lintian, have it multiline. Apparently, ddpo.py doesn't gork a
multiline uploaders: correctly.

Since Uploaders: is not documented, it is IMHO undefined for Uploaders:.
Therefore, I think it really should be in policy, so that for once and
for all, it is clear whether this is allowed.

I'll push a bit more for a resolution of that bug (i.e., a decision to
be made), in the meantime, there are two options:
- not have a multiline uploaders, but as long as policy doesn't cover
  the case, I can hardly add a lintian check for it
- have ddpo parse multiline uploaders, like almost any other tool does

I'm unsure about which is best to proceed, in sarge+woody, only lintian
and libsdl1.2 have a multiline uploaders, and the latter has a
multi-line build-depends too, so is definitly broken according to policy
5.1:
| Except where otherwise stated, only a single line of data is allowed and
| whitespace is not significant in a field body. Whitespace must not
| appear inside names (of packages, architectures, files or anything else)
| or version numbers, or between the characters of multi-character version
| relationships.

Currently lintian doesn't catch that mistake in libsdl1.2, I'll look
into that (and meanwhile probably simply have a single-line
uploaders, as currently lintian is by far in the minority in this
regard).

Regards,
Jeroen

--