Re: Proposal for an advanced Debian-QA system

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 10:37:22PM +0100, Bluefuture wrote:
[...]
> So this alert sensors could perform some automatical tasks. For example:
>
> - Defcon 5 Send an automatic alert via email to Debian Qa
> - Defcon 4 Send an automatic email to Debian Qa and open an automatic
> wishlist or minor bug on the package.
> - Defcon 3 Send an automatic alert via email to the Mantainer requesting
> info about lack.
> - Defcon 2 Debian Qa contact personally the Mantainers for possible
> solution to the lack.
> - Defcon 1 Global thermonuclear war ;)

I'm not sure you can say it's always a bug for Debian's package to be
out-of-sync with the latest upstream release.

For instance, there is a 2.x release of CPAN's HTML::FromText, which is
a complete rewrite by a new upstream maintainer.  However, the new
maintainer freely admits that there's no reason to replace the stable
1.x version (currently in Debian) with his less-stable 2.x version
unless we need one of his new features (which we don't, AFAIK).

Getting a bug automatically filed against my package under these
circumstances would annoy me, as I'm already in control of the
situation.  (Of course, it's different if someone actually needs the new
features in the 2.x release.)

KEN

--
Kenneth J. Pronovici <pronovic@debian.org>