Re: Proposal for an advanced Debian-QA system

On Friday 20 February 2004 23:37, Bluefuture wrote:
> So this alert sensors could perform some automatical tasks. For example:
>
> - Defcon 5 Send an automatic alert via email to Debian Qa
> - Defcon 4 Send an automatic email to Debian Qa and open an automatic
> wishlist or minor bug on the package.
> - Defcon 3 Send an automatic alert via email to the Mantainer requesting
> info about lack.

There is an unwritten rule in the Debian project:

Never. ever. ever - write a tool that sends mails automatically to
maintainers.

As for the other parts of your suggestion, usually the lack of most
modern upstream version in debian is _NOT_ because of poor QA,
quite the opposite.

1) The new upstream version brakes packages that depend on it
2) The new upstream version would not compile on all 11 platforms and thus
    uploading it would grind testing migration to halt.
3) The new upstream version is still buggy, and the maintainer will rather
    wait for a .1 release that will fix most bugs.
4) etc..

The other possibility of lack new upstream version is that the maintainer is
MIA. which we already try to track :)

Also, I dont really believe a central place of version information would
really stop the "there is a new upstream version" bugs. Actually it would
probaly be aplace where users would _notice_ that some package is out
of date and would file a bug...

What we really need is a way to more smoothly migrate newer packages
to sid and from sid to testing. Autobuilt staging areas maybe?

--
hi