Re: [RFC] Software Process Improvement in Free Software, Closing the Quality Cycle, Inventing Non-Developer-Demotivating QA/QM/SPI

Thomas Schorpp wrote:
> As I mentioned, this is subject for research. And I was on error with
> ISO 9001, sorry, the old ISO SW-QM standard has been ISO 9000-3 (part
> three) and some ANSI standards in U.S. and I've never seen a
> SW-organisation certified with ISO 900x. The assessments and SPI
> standard is ISO (TR) 15504, most used in Europe, in the U.S. CMMx is
> preferred.

I already wondered, since my memory told me it was ISO 9000 but I
haven't been in touch with it for too long to trust my memories
without further research.

> >Only wanting to apply something doesn't help.  In Free Software
> >there's a saying: "show me the code", which basically means that
> >somebody would have to try to apply these techniques first before a
> >discussion about creating web space, forming a group and the like is
> >useful at all.
>
> No, I cant agree, such processes are definitely not possible for SPI or
> higher level QM-Projects AND it's been even no more "best practice" and
> recommended in driving software development projects for at least 10
> years. Implementing before analysis, controlled project-/teammanagement,
> has shown up as "resource wasting", sorry. So SPI (Software Process
> Improvement) targets Project Management mainly, as known source of most
> bug hazards in the end.

Please notice that I didn't request you to implement SPI, QM and PM
but that you demonstrate *that* these techniques apply at all and
build up "something", that demonstrates it's not "resource wasting" on
*.debian.org.

Maybe you should start with a dictionary. :)

> >What about you explain the basics of cmm(x), spice, iso 12207, and iso
> >9001 to the others and demonstrate how they apply to Free Software,
> >and to Debian in particular.  I don't think everybody on the QA list
> >knows all standards, techniques, measurements and the like used in the
> >proprietary and closed software development area.  I don't know all of
> >them, at least.
>
> Its easy. Take a look at esi.es and sei.cmu.edu, practical introduction
> presentations are to find on many websites of consultancy companies.

These are so filled up with buzzwords that it hurts already.

I am not a C?O or manager that can be convinced by buzzwords, and most
other Debian developers aren't either.  We don't need marketing blurb.

Hence, I still proposed to explain the techniques and demonstrate how
they apply to Free Software or Debian packages and redistributed Free
Software in particular.

> >Please explain how you want to implement this.
> >I.e. how do you want to interfere the package development when
> >maintainers hardly have a chance to intercept.
>
> Research.

I'm very interested in the results.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Open source is important from a technical angle.             -- Linus Torvalds