Re: Please remove rcconf

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 00:10, Michael Stone wrote:
> Well, there are long-standing bugs in debian's handling of services on
> upgrade. It wasn't long ago that the system blindly restarted
> everything. Now it guesses, but doesn't do a all-round good job.

Upgrades are handled properly if and only if rc symlink farms are
fully populated.

> There
> were proposals long ago that on upgrades packages should check if the
> service was running before stopping, then restart if it was.

I.e., that "try-restart" be implemented in all packages.  That is
required before Debian can be said to support running of services
in "manual control" mode.

> I don't
> upgrade constantly, though, so this shouldn't be a showstopper. You
> need to pay attention while upgrading and this is just another reason
> why.

So your argument is that it is OK to put services in such a state that
they will be improperly started on upgrade.  You make it sound as if
upgrade chaos were a long Debian tradition that we should honour and
cherish!

This is the Quality Assurance mailing list so I think I can claim
victory now.  :)
--
Thomas Hood <jdthood@yahoo.co.uk>