Re: Please remove rcconf

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 09:40:22AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
rcconf should just be fixed to put kill links. "floating" instead of "off"
is a bad idea to begin with IMHO, unless you have the three states.

You haven't given an actual rationale for that but I'll explain why I
think you're wrong. If a services is never automatically started by any
runlevel the only way it will be running is if the admin launches it. I
do this all the time for things I don't want running on an automatic
basis, but which I might want when I'm testing something or somesuch. I
also switch runlevels to activate or deactivate certain functionality
(e.g., xdm) -- which is the point of runlevels in the first place. So
the question is, if I start a service manually, why would I want it
killed automatically as a side effect of doing something else? IMO,
setting a service to K state in an "up" runlevel only makes sense if you
start it in a different runlevel; that is, you only need automatic kill
if you use automatic start. ("up" runlevels being those that aren't
terminal; in most cases it does make sense to kill things in shutdown
runlevels.)

Mike Stone