Re: QA group best practice?

Le Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 07:56:35PM +1000, Matthew Palmer écrivait:
> Assuming the rest of the changelog entries are correct, you could deduce it
> was QA by the previous "orphaned" and subsequent "new maintainer" entries.
> I just think it's a nice, easy identification method.

Sure, it's nice, but that doesn't mean we should make a rule out of it.
You have the right to do things that are not written/documented if you
think that they are helpful.

> > Not really needed ... it's too much for a package which has no
> > maintainer. There are people who are receiving the bugs and who aren't
> > MIA and who will notice that there's a problem.
>
> You don't think a 1-2 week subscription would be a good idea?  There's
> always the possibility that you might have b0rked something ($deity knows
> I've mucked it up once or twice).

Funnily I'm the one who added that "rule" for the NMU in the
developers-reference ... because I think it's useful for NMU :
- the developer NMUed has no time otherwise he wouldn't be NMUed
- the maintainer will get angry if has more problems after the NMU

So it's better to be careful and follow what's happening after an NMU.
However for QA, it's not so important since the QA maintainers are
supposed to be never MIA since we're a group. So if a problem happen after
an upload, there will be someone else to notice it and to fix it or at
least to inform the uploader of his mistake.

> You can use 'at' to auto-unsubscribe
> after a while.

I know the trick, I explained it recently:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-qa/2003/debian-qa-200307/msg00078.html

:-)

> Well yes, but the thing about common sense is that it's so uncommon.  <g>

Sorry, but we shouldn't write down everything ... or we'll discourage
everyone from reading any Debian doc.

> Mmmmkay.  The devel-ref will never look the same again...

Your patch has not yet been accepted. :-)

Raphaël Hertzog -+- http://www.ouaza.com
Earn money with free software: http://www.geniustrader.org