Re: Issue tracking

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 18:18:23 +0000
"Colin Watson" <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 11:13:42AM +0000, Matthew Bell wrote:
> > On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 19:12:45 -0600
> > >
> > > I'm not sure I see what's wrong with using the qa.debian.org entry in
> > > the normal Debian bug tracking system for this. It's almost never been
> > > used, but that doesn't mean we can't start.
> >
> > Ok fair enough, how about using qa as a stepping stone to
> > implementingg full issue tracking for debian?
> > (/me gets all ambitous)
>
> Don't we already have that by means of the bug tracking system? We use
> that for enhancements as well as bugs, and we track bugs and feature
> requests in the infrastructure as well as the software using it.
> I guess I don't understand what "issue tracking" buys us over the
> structure we already have.

Ah well, I was going more for the project management point of view with issue tracking as a starting point. I figured it might help a large distributed project like Debian, and indeed you probably can already do this via the BTS, but then you can manage e-mailing lists by hand, or even search databases by hand too (ok, I'm pushing the metaphors ;). Anyway, I'm busy working on JabberStudio now, so if my ideas are useful, use them! Or don't as the case may be ;)

> --
> Colin Watson                                  [cjwatson@flatline.org.uk]

Matthew Bell