Re: user thwarted in reporting imagemagick bug

reopen 162876
thanks

Lukas Geyer <lukas@debian.org> writes:

> Dan Jacobson <jidanni@dman.ddts.net> writes:
>
> > user used reportbug to file imagemagick bug
> >
> > maintainer responded that in the readme.debian files it says to report
> > bugs yourself.
> >
> > user then tries the addresses in the readme files which fail.
> >
> > Therefore /usr/share/doc/imagemagick/ needs to have warnings about
> > invalid addresses there, and a warning that the final answer is if you
> > want to report an imagemagick bug, you must be a member of the
> > imagemagick mailing list, else forget about reporting your bug.
>
> OK, it seems that indeed this is the only possibility to file upstream
> bugs. My suggestion would be to update the README.Debian to indicate
> that you will have to subscribe to the mailing list if you want to
> report bugs upstream. But for casual users I would think the best
> recommendation is to report to the Debian BTS, then the maintainer can
> just forward it to the upstream mailing list. I do not think under
> these circumstances submitters should be told to report the bugs
> upstream themselves.

The new version 5.5.1.1-2 which claims to fix this has the following
in the diff. I think this is in no way acceptable.

+imagemagick (4:5.5.1.1-2) unstable; urgency=low
+
+  * closes: #161925, #161349, #161348, #78431, #161896, #156234
+  * closes: #161346 (Use -resize !)
+  * Add a comment about the upstream BTS in README.Debian.  closes: #162876
+
+ -- Ryuichi Arafune <arafune@debian.org>  Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:55:17 +0900

and the actual comment in the README.Debian is

+1) The upstream authors of ImageMagick have their own bug-tracking system
+   (Please see the web page: http://www.imagemagick.org). If the origin of
+   the problem is with the actual ImageMagick code, and not specific to the
+   Debian packages, please report it to them; not to me.

etc.

To the maintainer:

Please don't send users to that website without warning them that they
will have to subscribe to a mailing list before reporting a bug. This
might be acceptable for people doing real imagemagick development but
not for the average bug reporter. Just accept the bugs and forward
them upstream if you don't want to deal with them yourself, maybe add
a suggestion that active imagemagick developers should subscribe to
the upstream mailing list. (Furthermore I consider it a duty of the
maintainer, not the reporter, to figure out whether the problem is
upstream-related or Debian-specific. Certainly it is nice if the
submitter can already tell you, but sometimes people do not want to
spend hours to hunt down bugs in packages they use only casually.)

Lukas