Re: user thwarted in reporting imagemagick bug

Dan Jacobson <jidanni@dman.ddts.net> writes:

> user used reportbug to file imagemagick bug
>
> maintainer responded that in the readme.debian files it says to report
> bugs yourself.
>
> user then tries the addresses in the readme files which fail.
>
> Therefore /usr/share/doc/imagemagick/ needs to have warnings about
> invalid addresses there, and a warning that the final answer is if you
> want to report an imagemagick bug, you must be a member of the
> imagemagick mailing list, else forget about reporting your bug.

OK, it seems that indeed this is the only possibility to file upstream
bugs. My suggestion would be to update the README.Debian to indicate
that you will have to subscribe to the mailing list if you want to
report bugs upstream. But for casual users I would think the best
recommendation is to report to the Debian BTS, then the maintainer can
just forward it to the upstream mailing list. I do not think under
these circumstances submitters should be told to report the bugs
upstream themselves.

Lukas