Re: woody

--- Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Nick Jacobs wrote:
>
> >                How many people are using Debian
> > GNU/Linux on hppa, anyway?
>
> Enough to have started and to maintain the hppa port. You
> realize that
> you are extremly rude to those people who spend much time
> to port Debian to those archs.

Certainly not. Waiting for hppa (etc) support has
delayed release of woody - that's a fact. The vast
majority of Debian users have been adversely affected
by a tiny minority of vocal marginal-architecture
advocates.

> If you want to speed up the woody release, go to
> http://bugs.debian.org/
> and fix bugs and supply patches.

There are no outstanding release-critical bugs
in packages I use on the architecture I have
access to, so your comment is not applicable.

In my opinion the only practical way to get
Woody released in a reasonable time (say, before
the rest of the GNU/Linux community has moved
on from the 2.4 kernel that we're still waiting
to upgrade to) is to formally drop support
for at least 3 of the current 11 architectures.
If that statement displeases some of the
advocates for the marginal architectures, so
be it. It's time for some plain speaking here,
in the interests of the viability of the
Debian distro. Targeting several architectures,
instead of just 386, is valuable. But
targeting so many that we can't finish a
release is self-defeating.

Nick Jacobs