Re: No response from ftpmaintainers!

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 10:53:34AM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
[snip]
> I.e. it would be actually easier to go through the normal policy process for
> stuff like this.

Probably yes.

[snip]
> Yep. But since the policy is now ready, and it is not being accepted without
> complains, a RFC to -devel (crossposted to -java, probably) seems needed.

Ok. I'll do that when woody is released. No changes will be done until
it has been released, right?

> > Well almost the only one on debian-java@l.d.o who did not want the dummy
> > packages is myself. Personaly I have no problem with removing them but
> > lot of other people seems to have.
>
> Heh, without much extra reading on the java issues, I should say that I
> would also be initially opposed to a bunch of "-dummy" packages (of -any-
> sort) entering Debian.

I have now told the java list that I'll ask for the removal of these
dummy packages. One person have answered and said that would be a good
thing. So I'll do that. I have not heared any objections at all. :)

> > packages. But if people wants to toss them away I have no problem with that.
>
> If the -java ML crew can convince the -devel people that a bunch of -dummy
> packages (not one, or two, but a couple of them for every java ABI change)
> is a sound technical solutions, so be it. If they cannot, tossing those
> packages away will be what you will have to do...
>
> > Must RFC things be held on debian-devel or where should I put it?
>
> -devel, crossposted to -java, since the -java crew failed to come up with
> something that everyone in Debian either agreed or felt neutral to when
> working alone.

Ok.

> > Well that is interesting. On debian-java people want the -dummy and
> > on other places they do not want it. Anyway I'll remove it if that
> > is what it takes.
>
> The -java people can want all they want :)  If they cannot convince most of
> the other devels that the objections to their dummy packages are unsound,
> then they will have to do without the dummy packages.

You are right. Finally I have really something to rely on when I want
the -dummy packages to be removed. :)

They have to use equivs instead...

Thanks for all replies. Finally I'll get this ball rolling.

Regards,

// Ola