Re: No response from ftpmaintainers!

On Mon, 04 Feb 2002, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
> I have raised this question before, but now I'm a bit frustrated.

I think you will get a LOT more frustated on this issue. Let me give you a
friendly advice: don't take it personally (it probably isn't, anyway), and
go through the policy procedures or a RFC to resolve the issue.

> I want to have contact with a ftp maintainer or some other
> person. The thing is that I have two source packages with

Try IRC, you might have more luck there. But I warn you this is NOT going to
help from what I know about how these things work around here. You will most
likely hear what you don't want to.

> -rw-r--r--    1 opal     Debian       4450 Nov 14 03:17 java-compiler-dummy_0.8_all.deb
> -rw-r--r--    1 opal     Debian       4256 Nov 14 03:17 java-virtual-machine-dummy_0.8_all.deb
> -rw-r--r--    1 opal     Debian       2424 Nov 14 03:17 java1-runtime-dummy_0.8_all.deb
> -rw-r--r--    1 opal     Debian       1522 Nov 14 03:12 java2-compiler-dummy_0.1_all.deb
> -rw-r--r--    1 opal     Debian       1546 Nov 14 03:12 java2-runtime-dummy_0.1_all.deb
>
> These packages are quite important because they describe the
> proposed java policy which is some kind of guideline for how
> to package java packages. They also provide some dummy packages

The problem is, from what I've read around, that key people do NOT agree
with the -dummy stuff. So the ftp admins are not accepting the upload. And
that is holding down the rest of the stuff.

I suggest you get the 'java minipolicy' that proposes this -dummy stuff,
summarize the key threads that lead to that policy (pay special attention to
the posts that did NOT agree with the proposed solutions), and post an RFC
to -devel. Either that, or do it through debian-policy to get the java
minipolicy into policy itself.

BTW, this is more or less proper procedure. If anyone objects to a policy
change (and yes, mini-policies are included in this), you HAVE to deal with
it or the policy proposal is not accepted and stays in limbo. And the person
objecting the changes need not be key people to get the change tossed in the
wastebasket; anyone can do that.

If the RFC thread fails to give you a good enough response from the project
(and mind you, I certainly do not mean a response you want to hear -- I mean
a firm, public standing one way or the other), there are other methods you
can employ. But I don't think it will go this far (and those other methods
won't resolve the issue fast, either).

> How can this be resolved?
See above.

> Is the ftpadmins MIA?
No. They are overworked as always, I am sure. But hardly MIA.

> Or is there simply a problem with their mail so they do not
> get what I'm sending them? (both a bug and a mail).
Dunno. I am not one of them...

> response from any ftpadmin about what I should do?
Don't wait for their reply. At least one person sent you a clue of what
might be happening -- I know that for a fact, because I certainly read what
I repeated on the first paragraph of this email somewhere, and that somewhere
was a public Debian forum (even if I can't recall which).

Do what they require from you: either get a lot of people to agree with you
and deal with all objections, as per the proper policy process, or remove
the -dummy packages which seem to be the contentious issue.

BTW, I have not read the java mini-policy, nor have I "choosen" sides re.
this issue.

  Henrique Holschuh