Re: Suggestion for the organization of QA work

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 12:42:53PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> I'd like to hear your opinion on the following proposal:
>
> Currently QA works the way that people find something to do themselves and
> everyone works for himself at the tasks he sees. I propose to change this
> to define tasks of QA work with usually 2-3 people responsible for each
> area.  These people responsible can do the work either themselves or by
> organizing that it gets done (e.g. by organizing bug-squashing parties).
>
> advantages:
> - it's clear who's responsible for what
> - it's more easy to find other people helping (I remember that sometimes
>   people come that say they are interested in QA work) when you can say
>   "We are looking for someone to help with xyz."

I've thought about this for a while, and I can't decide whether I think
it's a great idea or a terrible one. :) I wouldn't like to feel
restricted in the areas of QA work I could work on: I've done almost all
of the things you mention at various times, depending on my mood. On the
other hand, I guess that I could always work on tasks that weren't my
primary ones, and I certainly see the use of having people who feel
responsible for particular things.

On balance I think I like the idea, provided that there are multiple
people responsible for each area and that anybody's still free to work
on anything in QA if they choose to do so. I'm not enough of an
organized type to set the whole business up, though.

> - send bug reports for uninstallable packages, unsatisfied
>   recommends/suggests and priority problems in unstable
>   * the problems are listed at [1]
[...]
> [1] http://qa.debian.org/debcheck.php

Also: