Re: Package puzzle can be removed

>> Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:

 > On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 12:59:39PM +0100, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
 > >  Does anyone know if this is being taking care of? (I don't watch the
 > >  -dpkg or -whatever-the-relevant-one-is-called list at all)  Will it be,
 > >  at some point in the near or far future, possible to rename packages in
 > >  a sensible way?
 >
 > Provides/Replaces/Conflicts? Dummy packages are only needed when there
 > are versioned dependencies on the old package.

 That's cool.  Where is it documented?  Looking at policy, 7.5.2, it
 mentions forcing the removal of whole packages but nothing more (in
 particular, it doesn't mention anything along the lines of package
 renaming).  The developer's reference doesn't mention it.  The
 packaging manual is dead.  What did I forget?

--
Marcelo             | On Earth, No-one Can Hear You Say "Um".
mmagallo@debian.org |         -- (Terry Pratchett, Only You Can Save Mankind)