Re: new modutils needed to fix 106933

On 01-08-16 Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 10:34:21AM +0200, Christian Kurz wrote:
> > I quite understand that we'll need to get those bugs in the base
> > packages fixed as soon as possible, but instead of contacting the
> > maintainer _and_ Debian QA, would you please ask the maintainer first
> > and ask him if he plans to fix the bug or if Debian QA should NMU.

> Why would it not be proper for Debian QA to NMU?

Look at chapter 7.3 of the debian developers reference. You are not
endeavoring yourself to reach the maintainer and get his answer, but
instead tell him with a simple message that someone will NMU his
package. That's not proper behaviour since the maintainer may have his
reasons for not having fixed the bug.

> Barring complete incompetence on the part of QA, any mistakes will just
> mean that a new version will need to be uploaded, but that's needed

And the maintainer will get some more bug reports from users, because
someone else broke his package. Just because he didn't contact him
before. :(

> Having QA being able to act as quickly as possible to fix RC bugs in
> the area we're working on atm would be very helpful as far as getting
> the release out in as timely a manner as possible.

A quick reaction is still possible, if you would have read my mail
carefully. I suggest that you contact the maintainer and tell him that
in a _certain_ _defined_ _timeframe_ a NMU will happen to his package if
he doesn't react to this mail. That way, he can either contact you and
explain to you why it's not fixed and when he plans to fix it or if he
doesn't react you can NMU it and be sure that he was informed about
this.

Christian
--
           Debian Developer (http://www.debian.org)