Re: kernel-sources

Le Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 04:29:41AM +0200, David Spreen écrivait:
> well, perhaps herbert xu will listen to you, he doesn't listen to me.

That's not really a way to handle problems.

> My problem is the following, I do not know why it is necessary to
> modify the kernelsource from upstream so much, that patches etc. do not

Because we want it to work in special cases. All distributions have
Linux kernels with many patches applied.

There's no problem with that.

> apply to it. In my oppinion, herbert has to keep it compatible with
> the _linux_ source (the package description told me that he packaged

Herbert is the maintainer, he has the right to decide. As long as the
kernel is still working in the same way, let him do what he feels right.

And please don't play the game of reopening bugs closed by the
maintainer.

> I don't think that every patch maintainer has to modify his patches to
> be compatible with the GNU/herbert kernel, right?

Why not ? It's your job.

> please talk to him, because he doesn't listen to me.

In such a situation, nobody is listening to anyone. :(

Le bouche à oreille du Net : http://www.beetell.com
Naviguer sans se fatiguer à chercher : http://www.deenoo.com