Re: kernel-sources

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 04:29:41AM +0200, David Spreen wrote:

> well, perhaps herbert xu will listen to you, he doesn't listen to me.  My
> problem is the following, I do not know why it is necessary to modify the
> kernelsource from upstream so much, that patches etc. do not apply to it. In
> my oppinion, herbert has to keep it compatible with the _linux_ source (the
> package description told me that he packaged _linux_ sources and not
> xu-sources) that the patch-package people still can apply their patches.  I
> don't think that every patch maintainer has to modify his patches to be
> compatible with the GNU/herbert kernel, right?  please talk to him, because
> he doesn't listen to me.

He is packaging the _Debian GNU/Linux_ kernel sources (and does a good job of
it).  These are not necessarily the same as the official Linux kernel sources.
However, the packaging system makes it very easy for you to download the
official kernel sources if that is what you want:

apt-get --tar-only source kernel-source-x.y.z

There is very little point in making a separate binary package for the official
kernel sources when they are already included in the source package for
kernel-source-x.y.z.  Such a package would never change, and so the only
benefit would be ease of acquisition.  As shown above, that is also provided by
the current system.

--
 - mdz