woody upgrade results

So, earlier today I installed Potato on 3 machines, configured them for X, run
them for an hour or so and then upgraded to woody.

Some issues:

a) apt completely fails to handle the upgrade (even with dist-upgrade).  It
wants to remove xdm, x-fonts and several other non X packages, plus several
other packages are listed as "held back".  Dselect on the other hand handles
everything perfectly.

b) during the upgrade the apt run fails twice.  Once due to a g++ / g++-2.95 /
libstdc++ issue (not sure what it was it just died).  Restarting the upgrade
goes along quite well and then dies the second time trying to install gettext.
Seems either it calls an emacsen script too early or without proper flags.
Restarting the upgrade yet again fixes it and finally finishes.

c) after the upgrade X moves to 100 dpi and suddenly GTK apps and some other
apps (emacs, netscape) look _really_ bad and launch in a size bigger
than my display (both 800x600 and 1024x768).  Yes there are screens warning
about this, but it is still rather ugly.