Re: dcoppython vs. python-pyqt

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Ricardo Javier Cardenes wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 02:59:40AM -0600, Bruce Sass wrote:
> > Who gets this bug...
> >
> > $ dpkg -S /usr/lib/python1.5/qt.py
> > dcoppython: /usr/lib/python1.5/qt.py
> > $ dpkg -S /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/qt.py
> > python-pyqt: /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/qt.py
> >
> > ...which results in...
> >
> > /usr/share/doc/python-pyqt/examples$ ./tut1.py
> > Traceback (innermost last):
> >   File "./tut1.py", line 9, in ?
> >     a = QApplication(sys.argv)
> > NameError: QApplication
>
> Mmmh... Ok. I see. I haven't installed dcoppython in my system. Fill a bug
> agains python-pyqt if you want :/. I'll try to talk to the QA Group, which
> seems to be the maintainer of dcoppython.

[Bruce sleeps on it]

I'll file against dcoppython for the following reasons:

- PyQt has an established history of installing to site-packages as
  qt.py, I was building and installing it long before dcoppython was
  even a twinkle in a developer's eye (back in the KDE1 days).

- dcoppython should be in site-packages with all the rest of the
  addons, not mixed in with all the Python modules.

- I don't think dcoppython works anyways.

- Bruce