Re: Libraries to move to oldlibs

Colin Watson <cjwatson@flatline.org.uk> wrote:
> If it's relatively easy, I suppose I could move to it, but I'm deeply
> reluctant to do that to man-db during the freeze. libc6 also has issues
> with upgrading from potato that require a dependency on libdb2 (AIUI).
> Please leave libdb2 where it is until woody + 1; we shouldn't have a
> required/base package depending on something in oldlibs.
>
> No objections to the others, although libpam-modules may have similar
> problems with moving to libcap2?

Oh, yeah, there is a freeze.

Okay, ignore my suggestion of moving libraries that lots of stuff depends on
to oldlibs (libasound1, libdb2, libqt2, libxml1) we can leave them for when
woody is released. There are no programs using libgmp2, libgtk1, libxdelta2
and plib1.3, I think we should move libgmp2 and libgtk1 to oldlibs and remove
libxdelta2 and plib1.3 from the archive. Of course, all my information is from
unstable, maybe I should crosscheck with testing, see what the conditions are
there.

In terms of the libraries that still have packages depending on them, I
suppose there is an argument to leave them alone until after the freeze. They
have been tested against the library they are linked with right now, and if
moved to a newer library incompatibilities might appear, not something we want
to deal with in the freeze.

--
Don't worry  --  shop.