Re: Libraries to move to oldlibs

Edward Betts <edward@debian.org> wrote:
>libdb2 (1 bug) - lots of packages do not work with libdb3 (exim), and there
>are problems in with data files in the transition, leave the libdb2 its
>current place, or move it to oldlibs to show that it is deprecated.

Erk. I asked the maintainer a while ago how easy it was to implement a
smooth transition from db2 to db3, i.e. without having to rebuild the
database from scratch, but I asked on IRC so the question probably got
lost. For somebody who knows little about Berkeley DB but maintains a
package based on it, how difficult is it likely to be?

If it's relatively easy, I suppose I could move to it, but I'm deeply
reluctant to do that to man-db during the freeze. libc6 also has issues
with upgrading from potato that require a dependency on libdb2 (AIUI).
Please leave libdb2 where it is until woody + 1; we shouldn't have a
required/base package depending on something in oldlibs.

No objections to the others, although libpam-modules may have similar
problems with moving to libcap2?