Re: Packages not making it into testing

On Thu, 10 May 2001, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> Le Thu, May 10, 2001 at 06:46:02PM +0200, Adrian Bunk écrivait:
> > The only problem with roxen2 seems to be that it's being held up by pike7
> > that waits for imlib (or it will become uninstallable on alpha) that waits
> > for libpng (or it will become uninstallable on powerpc) that is only 6/10
> > days old.
>
> Tell me how you can do such diagnostics ? How much time did you use ?
>
> I know madison, apt-cache and everything. It's still not straightforward
> to find out why a package doesn't make it into testing.

First, I look at update_excuses [1] if there's a reason listed why a
package won't go into testin. If not, I go to the end of update_output [2]
to see on which architecture(s) the problem occurs. Then I do download the
binary package for this architecture and compare it's dependencies with
the one's on my architecture (i386) and I try to guess where the
difference is and check on update_excuses [1] if one or more of the
differing packages haven't made it into testing until now. With a bit
experience you find most of the problems this way (although I must admit
that there are packages where I don't find the problem - I ask ajt in
these cases).

cu
Adrian

[1] http://ftp-master.debian.org/testing/update_excuses.html
[2] http://ftp-master.debian.org/testing/update_output.txt

--

Nicht weil die Dinge schwierig sind wagen wir sie nicht,
sondern weil wir sie nicht wagen sind sie schwierig.