Need for a test suite

Hi,

 I was just watching a discussion on #debian-devel and the subject of QA
 has come up yet again.

 The questions that pop up are basically the same as always, namely, how
 can we have some sort of QA procedure that *actually* helps in speeding
 up the release process?  The answer is at least partially evident: we
 need people actually doing QA.  It looks like Raphael, whom, AFAIK, was
 playing QA coodinator, got caught up in RL, and other people are in a
 similar situation.  Can we have an informal heads count here?

 Once we have the people, the other part of the answer is not that
 clear.  IMO, a possible solution would be to have a sort of test suite.
 Since the size of Debian together with the size of the QA team makes
 the very idea of a generalized test suite laughable at the moment.
 Phil did develop such a beast, but if you look in /usr/lib/debian-test,
 unless you have a particular set of packages, you'll note it's empty.
 Woody's release is hopefully too close to attempt getting these scripts
 written for a significant part of Debian.[1]

 Last year a group of developers demed the idea of using a task manager
 as a good one, in order to help introduce some order into the apparent
 chaos that QA is right now.  One example of such software is
 SourceForce (SF is more than a task manager, but the task manager
 contained there in is a good one, IMO).  Roland Mas has packaged
 SourceForce for Debian, and as far as I understand it's installed on
 some machine (SPI's, not Debian's).  The idea here would be to create
 tasks that can be taken by different people, which would gain us two
 things: splitting the work into small realistic chunks and giving us a
 scoreboard where we can come and say "yes, this was checked".  This can
 also serve as a system where people can simply report "I tested this
 particular task on such a system".  Of course there's at least one
 flaw: we need to push other developers arround in order to get the task
 list populated.

 For now, it seems the most urgent task in this yet non-existant list is
 to test the boot-floppies.  For *woody*.  No, not debian-installer.
 The woody boot-floppies.  The people doing QA should forget about
 debian-installer at the moment.  AFAIK, only Adam di Carlo is really
 working on them (I'll be glad if I get corrected).  The first thing to
 do to get this going is *building* the boot floppies out of CVS.  I'm
 not sure if that's doable atm.  Adam and the b-f team have done a great
 job documenting all this stuff, so it's not that hard to get up and
 going.  Probably the best way to get this started is having the boot
 floppies built on a regular basis, with a list of changes wrt to the
 last built (trivial with cvs2cl) with, perhaps, an addiotional list of
 stuff to actually test.

 The other question that popped up is "what's holding up packages in
 unstable and what can QA do to help that?"

 It's not hard to tell that I've made a lot of this mail on the spot,
 mostly triggered by ideas thrown on #d-d.  I'm not trying to get things
 going on *right now*, but to get a discussion started about how to go
 from here.  The general consensus is woody won't get out of the door
 unless it starts to get (systematically) tested soon.

 TIA,

                                  Marcelo

 [1] Good candidates for these tests are security fixes tests, such as
 the one provided by rsync, to ensure that bugs that once existed don't
 crop up again.