Re: crafty: suggesting bugfixes

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 01:33:53PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> > I have now moved the initial files in /usr/lib/games/crafty. They are then
> > copied in postinst to /var/lib/games/crafty, not overwriting anything in
> > the process. The files are removed in postrm on purge as you suggested.
>
> The files can be pretty big, can't they?

Indeed. From the read.me:

    large.zip, medium.zip and small.zip are the raw input files to make
    the three different sized books.  large produces a 60mb opening
    database with 100K GM games; medium produces a 30MB database, and
    small will produce a 1MB database.

and there's even larger collection, 'enormous', input file(s) being
roughly one gigabyte after unzipped, I haven't tried how huge database can
be generated from it, but I can imagine.

Hmm, this sounds like far too easy way for users to fill up /var
partition (crafty is setgid games and the files in /var group-writable.)
Any thoughts?

> I think it would be a nice modification to make crafty read from the
> ones in /usr if the ones in /var are not present, but always write out
> changes to the ones in /var; creatingt them if necessary. Then if you
> never run it in learning mode, you don't waste disk space.

Yes, I agree.

> > There were no lintian errors or warnings this time. I have tested that the
> > package can be installed, upgraded, removed and purged cleanly. As before,
> > the files are available at http://togo.dhs.org/debian/
>
> Do you need sponsoring?

Yes please.
Just to make things clear, my intention is not to adopt this package and
like I said earlier I'm not a Debian developer. I just wanted to have more
up to date version packaged and doing it myself seemed to be the fastest
way.

--
Tommi Komulainen                                 Tommi.Komulainen@iki.fi
GPG 1024D/68388EE6    6FD6 DD79 EB38 BF6F 3533  09C0 04A8 9871 6838 8EE6