Re: gdm/xdm/wdm conflict

The Red Hat solution is to have /etc/X11/prefdm, which is a symlink to
the "preferred display manager".  /etc/inittab runs /etc/X11/prefdm,
which is ordered to stick to ttyv7.  The Debian way would be to do a
similar thing using /etc/alternatives.  I'm not an expert in this area
of Debian, so I'm not trying to say this is the best solution, only
that it does work on Red Hat and that I don't think it was in one of
your lists.

> Richard Braakman disagrees, and says that we have always shipped Debian
> with a not-fully-installable Optional priority.  Why don't we find out if
> attacking this display manager problem really is going to solve issue 2)
> generally?

Well, I disagree with Richard Braakman here, but he's in charge of
release engineering and I'll happily defer to him.  Perhaps this would
be a worthy release goal for woody?

> > Number (1) is a wishlist item.
>
> I wouldn't trivialize it to that degree because of the consequences when
> you lock up the console of a standalone box.

I wasn't trying to trivialize it; just describe the appropriate place
to file that portion of thd bug.

Thomas