Re: gdm/xdm/wdm conflict

On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 07:56:40PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Thomas Bushnell, BSG writes ("gdm/xdm/wdm conflict"):
> > Fixing this bug is trivial: two of the offending packages need to be
> > moved into Extra.  (If xdm is one of the packages moved into Extra,
> > then task-x-window-system will need tweaking too.)
>
> I agree completely.

I see you've found yet another issue for which to rail against our XFree86
packages...

> Can you provide me with the bug numbers ?

You have plenty of time to chime in about how other package maintainers
need to rectify problems IMMEDIATELY, but precious little to browse the BTS
yourself.  An interesting disjunction.

How hard is it to type "bugs.debian.org/packagename" into a browser?

> To the display manager maintainers: is there some reason why we
> shouldn't make two of these packages be Extra ?

Why bother to ask?  You've already stated that you "agree completely" with
such an action.

> We used to be able to fix this kind of thing by changing the override
> files.

Well, then, why don't you go ahead?  There's no need to involve the package
maintainers at all.  It's not like they have the first clue why the display
managers were made to conflict in the first place.

I am increasingly sick of hearing problem reports accompanied by bundled
"solutions" of which you are utterly confident, when you haven't bothered
to appreciate the history or causative factors of said bugs.  You did it
with the upstream change in the xterm terminal definition, calling me on
the phone to demand that we break compatiblity with other Linuxes in favor
of compatibility with Solaris; you did it with the xfree86-common/xlib6g
relationship, and now you are doing it with the X display managers.

It must pain you greatly to permit maintainers to do anything but
rubberstamp your armchair package-maintainance.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |    Reality is what refuses to go away when
Debian GNU/Linux               |    I stop believing in it.