Re: RFC: Changing the NM system

On 17 Dec 2000, Chuan-kai Lin wrote:

> without being a maintainer" and everything comes to a halt.  The
> goals I stated for joining Debian includes: work on the Chinese
> translation of w.d.o and help with QA work for Chinese-specific
> packages.  Okay, enough for background information...

I haven't seen you doing any QA work until now. Did I miss something (I
can't remember having heard anything from you at the debian-qa mailing
list) or what are the reasons why you didn't start working on what you
want to do if this is one of the main goals of your Debian work?

> > Another important thing: We trust every single developer:
> > - We trust him when he signs the GPG key of a prospective developer.
> > - A developer can make an upload for every single package in Debian.
> >   We trust him that he doesn't do any harm.
> > - Every Debian developer represents Debian (e.g. at exhibitions).
>
> I believe that you must be very happy to know that Debian trusts
> lots of people who are not developers/maintainers.  For example, I
> now have write access to the w.d.o CVS tree through the chinese
> account, which I got in May, to work on Chinese translations.  And
> if you read the first paragraph of my post carefully, even the DAM
> think there is nothing wrong with it.  It is official: packaging is
> the only sexy part of Debian, and we cannot care less if it is some
> Random J. Dummy authoring web contents for us.

Where in my mail do you read that I say "official" that translations and
WWW pages aren't important???

I wrote in the mail you quoted in another place you didn't quote: "Someone
starts working for Debian (e.g. by maintaining packages or helping at a
port)". I had two examples in the brackets and I said "e.g." because there
are many other examples of important work for Debian (e.g. translations,
boot-floppies,...) I can't give a complete list of.

> Note: this is not a personal critic to Anthony Fok, the one who
> supplied me with the access and is now acting as my AM.  It is not
> his fault -- it is the system that needs to change.

What do you want to get changed?

[1] already says that there are other possibilities than maintaining
packages to become a developer.

What I want to get changed is e.g. with the following that stands at [1]:

  B. Skills

   What is required of the applicant will depend on what task is to be
   done. The applicant must provide assurance that they can, in fact, do
   the job for which they have volunteered. The following are examples
   only, and can be modified as the Application Manager (AM) and the
   applicant see fit, so long as the required skills are demonstrated.
   B. Documentation:
          The applicant may demonstrate skills in this area by producing
          a man page for a package that doesn't have one; by editing a
          current document to bring it up-to-date; or by producing other
          documentation required but missing from the distribution.

When reading it you see that writing a single manual page is enough for
passing the current "Tasks & Skills" check to become a Debian developer.
Sorry, but I can't resist calling this kind of skills check a joke!

> -- Chuan-kai Lin

cu,
Adrian

[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/join/nm-step4