Re: RFC: Changing the NM system

Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de> wrote:
>On Sat, 16 Dec 2000, Christian Kurz wrote:
>> more careful task&skill test would be helpful.
>
>Yes, and the main point of my proposal is: An applicant doesn't get his
>account before he had worked some months for Debian. This lets us judge
>on his whole work (e.g. his knowledge about packaging, how he handles
>bugs,...).

I agree that a lot of care should be taken. Still, working through
sponsorship is unbelievably frustrating if there isn't a great deal of
interest in your packages, or if your sponsor is slow to react [1], and
I don't think it's representative of working as a developer. In
particular, while I try to run through random packages in the BTS
reasonably often, I feel (perhaps inaccurately) somewhat limited in that
I can't make uploads when the maintainer is obviously missing in action.

Perhaps we need a more organized system of sponsorship, so that people
who are stuck waiting in the NM queue can do QA work with some degree of
ease. At the moment it seems to be largely a matter of whether you're
lucky enough to find somebody who'll quickly and consistently sponsor
your uploads.

Of course, if the goal is to find people who are persistent enough to
work through and despite this, then fair enough.

[1] The only bug I have open has been closeable since the day after it
    was filed six months ago, but my sponsor never replied to my note
    that an upload was available. Admittedly it was my own fault when I
    thought I'd replied to Edward Betts later and actually don't seem to
    have done.